The case of a former waiter at an iconic London restaurant who died of an asbestos related disease has been settled for £70,790 in the week it was due to go to trial.

Miltiades Charalambous, known as Milton, died aged 70 of mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer, on 8 March 2010, just two months after being diagnosed with the disease.

His family believes Milton was exposed to asbestos dust whilst working in the basement of London’s iconic kosher restaurant, Bloom’s on Whitechapel High Street, when he would stand near an old boiler, sorting the linen.

An inquest into his death in September 2010 confirmed Milton died as a result of mesothelioma but Bloom’s restaurant, where Milton worked for over 30 years, denied the exposure took place on their premises resulting in the matter going to trial.

Asbestos specialists at law firm, Irwin Mitchell, went on to negotiate a settlement on the morning the trial was due to begin.

Nicola Maier, an asbestos related disease expert at Irwin Mitchell who represented the family said:

“The last 18 months have been very difficult for Milton’s family as they’ve struggled to come to terms with their loss.

“The settlement secured today means the family will be provided for and they can now start to move forward with their lives knowing there has been some justice for the huge loss they suffered.”

Judge Martin McKenna at London’s High Court, was given statements on behalf of the family which claimed “the atmosphere in the basement was dusty and contaminated with asbestos fibres”.

Milton’s daughter, Helen Michael, said:

“We were all absolutely devastated at dad’s sudden death and we were desperate for answers as to who was responsible for him coming into contact with asbestos.”